I think I can finally figure out why I (and some other people) like Mathematics without even doing well in it (that sounds bad).
It is because the effort you put in it is directly proportional to the result/reward.
You work hard, practice it always, and it'll ensure you at least a B...but if you fail to do so, hence your result won't be worth bragging about.
You get satisfaction from solving problems and solving problems is a big part of maths. And the fact that the answers are also absolute, like only 1 answer can be right (I know, some problems have quite a number of answers) but they're the only answers. Different types of solution are available but it always reach the same destination, so its more definite. You know you did it right when you get the right answer.
While in comparison to other subjects... we use sentences to answer questions. And they can vary widely, like for example Biology. We can make different sentences just to explain something and sometimes some sentences are accepted while others are not accepted even though they meant the same thing - only written differently. That is why its so frustrating sometimes. And you can study really hard in Bio but still mess it up in the end =/
OKAY the bio part is unnecessary really,
I'm just trying to tell you why I think I like Maths a lot.
END OF EXPLANATION
------------------------------
*groans* I hate it I HATE IT when teachers discourage students from studying out of the syllabus. Its so irritating. I remembered when we had most of our first classes and almost all teachers handed our syllabus and said, "Just follow this syllabus and you'll be okay really and do really well if you follow this syllabus."
MACAM AHHH WHY DID YOU SAY THAT
I'm a hypocrite honestly, because I haven't actually studied out of the syllabus myself bcos coping with the syllabus is already hard, but why did they say that?!? WHY?!
Don't they realize this friggin' syllabus will not help us out of the classroom...out of alevels. I mean, OK, it does help us but... but it is not enough to compete with other people.
And A levels are... not a good measure of one's intelligence. I mean, .. oh its so hard to get my meaning across.
WHICH BRING US TO ANOTHER TOPIC
Do you know why sometimes you can't say what you feel?
Like when you do something but you can't justify it?
You chose.... the answer A in MCQ but you cannot explain why and it's actually correct?
Well, its becaaauuuuseee your decision-making part of the brain is not in the same part with the part of the brain that controls language.
This is what you call the "gut decision" --> it doesn't have anything to do with your stomach.
And gut decisions are much quicker and of higher quality compared to ... err the thinking that takes a looong time.
Actually, I can explain this better but my book is far away so I'm just gonna tell you the "gist" of it. Don't take my facts word for word.
Don't think tooooo hard about something. You lose the supposed quality of it. WAIT, YOU KNOW WHAT, LET ME FETCH THAT BOOK --
Ahh its rational thinking, the opposite of gut decisions. Rational thinking - you think using only your rational part of the brain. I know it sounds better than trusting your gut but it actually leads to overthinking.
And guts make better decisions in fact. But you don't trust it because you can't explain why you feel its right when in fact, the reason you can't explain why it just feels right is because the decision making center doesn't control language.
Not because there's no logical explanation for it, you just can't put it into words!
And usually, when you make a gut decision and people ask why, you'll answer, "It feels...right."
RIGHT? RIGHT?! Well let me tell you why it specifically feels right.
The part of the brain that controls these decisions also controls our feelings, hence we feel its right.
Well thats all for tonight, folks~
No comments:
Post a Comment