Saturday, April 9, 2016

Perspective

Do you guys know how people with moderate to severe eczema live?
They live in constant urge to scratch. People tell us, "Don't scratch. It's all in your mind," but they don't know that it's not all in our minds. If it was, I'd win the game already.
And showers? Baths? Those kind of daily activities are hell. Exercise hurts because sweat stings the skin and heat makes it more itchier.
Eczema affected my life more than I could ever expect.
Sometimes I use it as an excuse, but more often than not, it's a valid reason.
Why I never marched under the sun for national events. Why I don't do PE. Why I'm a shut in.
Those sleepless nights because your skin doesn't feel calm.
Winter is too cold and dries out the skin.
Summer is too hot and uncomfortable due to constant sweating.
There's never a middle ground.

So now I'm studying about various speech and language (SL) delays and disorders, but one of the key things our lecturers keep reminding us again and again is that sometimes, the issue isn't the SL problem itself.
The issue is that the SL disorder prevents the clients from living they way they normally do or doing things that they want to.
A normally quiet person who doesn't socialize wouldn't find any problem if his voice kept disappearing, preventing him to talk a lot. He probably doesn't realize it.
A construction boss who needs to constantly barks his orders would find the same voice disorder so damaging that it might turn his world upside down.
What one may not think is a big deal could be life changing for another.
As future clinicians, we don't solely want to cure them of the disorder, because chances are that some might be incurable or take longer than anybody wished it would.
Our main goal should be restoring back normality in their lives - and the standard of normality differs from client to client.
I don't know. Something about this hits home with me.
The importance of taking in another's perspective.
It sure sheds some new light on the world and my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment