Monday, October 27, 2014

Black Mirror

Have you ever heard of Black Mirror?
It's a series I recently discovered. Its premise is interesting - every episode is a whole new story and have no connection at all to its previous stories. The only similarity they have is that all the stories are trying to show us the repercussions of relying on technology in a very exaggerated way. 

What 'Black Mirror' refers to is actually our phone screens or laptop or TV when its inactive. You know, the black screen. Yeah.


I was watching the 3rd episode and bro#1 was asking me why I downloaded such a crazy series. He was overreacting the whole time and can I just say that, for me, episode 3 was probably more tame than episode 1... (gets a bucket to puke in at the memory of it). 

Bro#1 did not understand it but I totally gave bro#2 an intro about Black Mirror before watching it, so he wasn't that upset by the craziness that flashed before his eyes.

So this series is not something you just take at face value. When watching the episodes, you need to think beyond what was shown to you. How it affects you - what that story was trying to teach you. Such a hassle, right? Yeah, I chose to watch it because the hassle made it unique. 


When was the last time a series showed you something with a deeper underlying meaning beneath it that isn't so cliche? -->(e.g.: love conquers all, being brave is what you need to do, honesty is the best policy) 


That drawn me to watch Black Mirror although I could not watch the first episode alone because the plot was too disgusting for me to even contemplate. Watching it was horrifying! 

Anyhow, I managed to get my bro#2 to watch with me and I feel it's better that way. After every episode, I would ask him, "So, what do you think?" and he'll give me his opinion. Sometimes he has got fully formed opinions but most of the time, we were both perplexed by what we recently witnessed.

The whole series is some sort of satire.





The humour in it is pretty dark, but I wish so badly the man who wrote the script wrote a love story! I loooooooved witnessing love blossom in the 2nd episode. It was absolutely adorable, but since what they're trying to teach us is not LOVE but the DANGERS of certain things in life, the ending was pretty depressing for a cute love story.


I'm trying to erase the memory of the 1st episode right now (it is too extreme for my soul). The following episodes were not much uplifting but they were less puke-able on the disgusting scale. 


Lessons from Ep#2: 
  • Enjoy life outside of your computerized screen while you can. One day, spending time in the natural world might be a privilege rather than your right 
  • In life, most of the time you end up doing something that you oppose in belief due to external pressure 
  • Even if you acted on your belief at the start, you might end up doing something opposing it anyway. In order to achieve a better life.
  • Love can be torturous.
  • The future where everything is done using touchscreens, it doesn't look so amazing once you've seen the reality of it all. Crappy future.
Sobs
Take a jab at watching Black Mirror. If you're like me, you'll regret it slightly but love it too. In a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment